Understand Children's Vision Better
About The Course
This educational webinar is hosted on Edupro Online (www.edupro-online.com) and is acredited by the Health Professions Council of South Africa as well as the South African Institute for Kinderkinetics.
Now teachers and parents can watch this webinar on Kwanda Academy and earn a certificate of completion after submitting an online questionnaire.
Topics Within Webinar
Casha Meintjes is the guest speaker for this educational talk. The talk covers the following topics:
• What is visual acuity or clarity?
• What are the signs and symptoms associated with poor vision?
• What can cause eyesight to deteriorate quickly?
• What is the influence of blue / artificial light on the visual system?
• What is computer vision syndrome and how can you prevent it?
• What types of medicine can lead to a child experience problems with visual acuity?
• What is the relationship between posture and a child's visual skills?
• Which visual skills are assessed when a child is 3 years old compared to a child in a primary school setup?
• What happens to the visual system if a baby does not crawl long enough?
• Why does breastfeeding play an important part in a child's visual development?
• What can you do to prevent amblyopia in babies or young children?
• What is functional visual skills?
• What is the difference between visual acuity and functional visual skills?
• At which age can you easily recognize visual acuity problems versus binocular difficulties?
• Why does a child need good functional visual skills?
• What are the signs and symptoms associated with poor functional visual skills?
• What is visual perceptual skills?
• What is visual processing and how does it differ from visual perceptual skills?
• What are the signs and symptoms associated with poor visual perceptual skills?
• When should you refer a child for a full visual assessment?
• To whom can you refer a child for a full visual assessment?
Although this talk was originally recorded for parents, teachers will greatly benefit from watching this talk and expanding their knowledge. Paediatric professionals will also be able to brush-up on their knowledge regarding the above-mentioned topics discussed in this talk.
Casha Meintjes and Marené Jooste
Casha Meintjes is the owner of Eyetek Optometrists, a group of three optometric practices in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Eyetek has been offering innovative and complete optometric solutions since 1993. All three branches have extensive experience in adult's vision, children's vision, vision-related learning difficulties, neuro-optometry, vision therapy, binocular vision and contact lens fitting.
Marené Jooste is a Kinderkineticist with a Masters Degree in the neuro-sensory-motor development of children. She has been in private practice for almost 20 years and has a special interest in neuro-diverse children with neuro-motor difficulties including but not limited to autism, ADHD and DCD. She is the owner and founder of Kwanda Kinetics Child Development And Therapy Centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this webinar accredited?
Yes, this course is accredited with SAPIK as well as with the HPCSA via Edupro Online.
How long do I have access to the webinar?
This educational webinar is completely self-paced and you can view all content related to this webinar whenever you choose. Thus, you have LIFELONG access for as long as the company exists.
Do I get a certificate?
Absolutely, yes! Just follow the prompts inside this webinar. Enjoy being rewarded for learning something new and valuable that will help you change a child's life!
Can I receive CPD points / units for this webinar?
Yes, if you are a pediatric professional, you can receive CPD points units if you are registered with either the HPCSA or SAPIK. However, in order to qualify for professional CPD points, you will need to take this course on the Edupro platform. Click on www.edupro-online.com to be taken to this site. Please take note that you will NOT be able to claim CPD points if you watch this webinar on Kwanda Academy.